The girl who kicked her way into my heart - A picture story

Yesterday, I went to a small rural hamlet Karumarapakkam, somewhere in between Kalpakkam on ECR and Thirukazhukundram. I was there to do KravMaga self-defence workshop for women.
For the third year I was going there to do a workshop for rural women, who suffer domestic violence and sexual harassment, due to rampant alcoholism. I started doing this workshop in a classroom of the local school. The girls were mostly between 13 to 17 years.
While I was slowly warming up to the task at hand, I noticed 2 small girls peeping through the window. 
After a few minutes, I noticed these 2 small girls have quietly slipped into the classroom and were sitting in a corner. Especially the smaller girl looked sharp and intelligent, and she was listening very intently to my talk.
When the workshop entered into the kicking and punching phase, I could sense this kutty girl was eager to kick the bag. 
I called her to come forward and kick the bag. She and her slightly bigger friend came forward without hesitation. While the bigger girls were coy and kicking the bag demurely, these 2 small impish tiny-tots went all out and kicked the bag with gusto. 
And after every kick this small girl in a pink dress will do a few pirouettes and laugh loud showing some missing teeth. My heart just went out to her.
Later, when I was teaching releases from hand holds, this girl, who was thin and hardly 3 feet high, did the releases with so much energy, 
I asked the older girls to emulate her. This kutty girl was oblivious to all this attention. She was just immersed in doing the releases, and laughing every time she did it.
At the end of the workshop, when all of us stood together for a group photo, I called this tiny-tot and her friend to come and stand with me. I felt privileged to be with this small girl, whose name I still do not know.
Its better in a way, I don't know this small girl's name. Because, for me she will always be the essence of female energy - The Shakti. The Shakti or the energy which procreates, protects the good and destroys the evil.
Related Posts -
..................................................................................................

SreeRam is a KravMaga self-defence instructor at Chennai, South India. He teaches Civilians, Police and Security.
SreeRam has started W.A.H.R (Women against harassment & Rape)an NGO devoted to increase personal safety awareness amongst women and equip them to handle sexual harassment at public and work places.
SreeRam conducts KravMaga personal safety and self-defense workshops at corporates, especially IT/BPO companies where many women work late. He has also conducted workshops, for rural women.
On 8th March 2012 ( International Women's Day) KravMaga SreeRam released a small handy booklet for women titled " 10A-s of Personal Safety for Women" 
...............................................................
Mobile - 0-934 000 66 00 , Email - kravmaga.chennai@gmail.com
Chennai Site - https://sites.google.com/site/kravmagachennai/
KRAVMAGA BLOG -  http://kravmaga-chennai.blogspot.com/
LINKED IN -  http://in.linkedin.com/in/ksr960
FACEBOOK - http://bit.ly/KravMagaChennai
YOUTUBE - http://www.youtube.com/user/KravMagaSreeRam
GOOGLE PROFILE - http://www.google.com/profiles/ksr960
TWEET - @kravMagaSreeRam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TCS staff's murder - Why it is too simplistic to blame IT/ITES companies!?

The Dynamics of Police encounters - Part 2 The background of encountered criminals

7 Dictums of what NOT to teach in self-defense for WOMEN