Many will sound so basic and obvious. But you will be surprised to know that they are routinely overlooked, by sheer apathy or pre-occupation. Or worse by being cynical.
Avoid creating a situation which increases your risk exposure.
- The risk may be due to the Place, the Time or the Persons around.
- The risk is multiplied when these elements come together. Like lonely road, late night and a suspicious character coming towards you.
- Read about the AOI triangle which is an easy formula for understanding risk.
- Create as many obstacles between a threat and you; wherever you are.
- At home it may mean locked windows and doors - which are 2 layered, so that you can see clearly who is outside and what he is carrying, without being accessible to him.
- If habitually alone, get a good intruder alarm system installed.
- Have a dog.
- Even the simple act of locking the car door when travelling is critical. Many crimes started with the criminal just opening the car door and getting in, even before the victim can react.
- As we see in TV nature programs, the predator always tries to pick the easiest prey. So, appearing as a soft target emboldens the criminal to zoom into you.
- Remember the criminal is keen to get his job done with minimum fuss. If he feels you are going to resist and prolong the struggle, he will lose interest.
Be Aware of your surroundings
- If something is out of the routine, your antenna should go up.
Like if you see a parked car with people inside on a lonely stretch, you better take a detour.
- I often see youngsters engrossed in their mobile phones while walking. Or listening to their iPods oblivious to the world at large. They can be easily surprised, if targeted.
- Always walk facing the oncoming traffic. the chance s of you being surprised from behind are less.
If you feel something is wrong, be prepared to Fight or Flee.
- Don’t ignore your natural instincts. If you feel something is wrong in a situation or a person, leave the place without delay.
- By social conditioning, many victims think it will be appear rude if they leave abruptly or refuse to get involved in a conversation with a stranger.
- Another major assumption is a criminal will look like a criminal. Actually many serial murderers, rapists or paedophiles look very decent and friendly.
- Meanwhile, please give your suggestions and add your inputs by leaving comments below.
- Also use the share links on the right if you feel the information can be useful to somebody else too.